Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Final Post


During this quarter we have studied many different types of art throughout history. One era of history that we studied was Realism. I liked realism because they wanted things to change in society and they were considered offensive to the bourgeoisie. I like realism so much because it was breaking away from what was considered the norm to academic standards.
            The painting “The Stone Breakers” by Courbet was the painting that I really liked from the realism era. I like it so much because the canvas size was so large and it was showing two guys working really hard. Realism art was breaking away from academic standards because it showed more of real life and what was happening in real life; rather than showing biblical subject matter. I also liked that the painting wanted things to change in society. There is so much emphasis on the poor rather the rich. The rich didn’t like that the paintings were so emphasized on the poor. According to academic standards the poor were supposed to be small and off in the background. This painting does the complete opposite; the men are taking up most of the canvas and are the main subject matter. Another thing I really enjoyed about this painting is that the men are looking away and you cannot see their faces. I think that this is key because it allows the poor to be recognized as a whole and not just as individuals. In doing this allows for more people to be aware that the poor are real people and that is a true part of life.
            Another era of art history that we studied was the political side of Impressionism because I really liked comparing “The Rue Montorgueil” By both Monet and Manet. The painting that I really liked was the one by Manet because it is closer up view of the streets of the festival in France. I also like that Manet showed a veteran that has one leg and is walking through the streets. I think that leaving this veteran with one-leg shows that there was a big price to pay for the festival they are having in France. I also like that Manet used a more up close and personal view of celebration in France. Monet’s version was a more an upper view and showed a very energetic scene. I like that Manet shows political things in his artwork. Manet didn’t want people to forget and him leaving in politics in his art can be considered avant-garde.
            I like the artwork that goes against academic standards and changes things and may even create controversy. I also think that art shouldn’t have standards. When I first looked at these two paintings I didn’t see the big deal with them. Learning the meanings behind them helped understand how they could have raised controversy in their time. In stonebreakers the bourgeoisie didn’t like to see the poor idolized and in Manets painting the crippled veteran is meant to remind people of the price that was paid to have a celebration after the war.


3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you when you stated, "I like the artwork that goes against academic standards and changes things and may even create controversy. I also think that art shouldn’t have standards." I think that art is so interesting, in that it can influence politics, social ideas, and religion. After learning about all the different artistic movements that we covered over the quarter, I think it's so cool to see how different artists affected their eras, and even helped to shape the ideas of today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may be that the modern bourgeoisie have become too insulated from the poor. Big houses, fast cars and private jets can keep the rich from viewing the poor. Rich people aren't necessarily bad people but their awareness of those who work for them should not be allowed to lapse. I wonder if media contributes to some of the problems of our society- there's so much out there and one may pick and choose what one prefers to take in- that a lot of socially pertinent information gets ignored. Artists still need to sell art and may choose subjects that do not offend their audience- yet there are those patrons who seek out the avant-garde work because, ironically, there is a lot of snob appeal associated with finding something new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Stone Breakers was one of my favorite pieces from this course as well. I like how Courbet brings forth the struggles of the working proletariat class through the large canvas and confrontational approach of subject matter. Considering the time, this definitely would have been seen as a challenge to the norms of art and provoke controversy like it did.

    ReplyDelete