Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pop Art- 20th Century


        Looking at art from the 20th century I really enjoyed Roy Lichtenstein’s work. A painting of his that really stuck out to me was the “Drowning Girl”.  I like that he used comic book art as a major influence on his work. I think that this painting is very dramatic and I like that he considered adding text into his paintings as another visual element.
            Roy Lichtenstein artwork was a giant shift away from Abstract Expression. You can see very little of his feelings in art. You mostly see him recreating the culture. Abstract art has more of an influence by using their feelings and emotions into their work. Lichtenstein would use the mechanical reproduction, the use of the Ben-day dots; at times the dots would be highly exaggerated. They are small colored dots that are equal in size and evenly spaced. They are used to increase shading and contrast. Another characteristic of his works are the use of the thick black lines. The use of the thick lines helps give his painting the comic book feel because they look more as if they were drawn.
            “I’m never drawing the object itself; I’m only drawing a depiction of the object – a kind of crystallized symbol of it.” This was a quote from Roy Lichtenstein himself. (theartstory.org) It really explains how he is recreating the culture around him. As you look at the image of the “Drowning Girl” you can see the waves around her crushing against her. It makes me think that she has fallen or jumped off the boat and as she says “I don’t care- I’d rather sink than call Brad for help” makes me think she is talking to Brad on the boat. This painting is showing the drama in the culture and how this situation is humorous because the girl is choosing death out of feelings of spite. (artz.org)
            Roy Lichtenstein work is really moving away from the abstract expressionism I think that is why I like his style of pop art. I like the he takes the comic style of art and makes them larger and keeps them dramatic. I think that his use of bright colors was a big part of the 60’s and I like that he shows off that era in his work. Also the characteristic that he adds speech bubbles adds to the drama of the paintings and it allows the viewer to understand what it is going on in the paintings. His works are widely known and became very popular. 






http://www.artsz.org/lichtenstein-pop-art-drowning-girl/


http://www.theartstory.org/artist-lichtenstein-roy.htm



7 comments:

  1. I've noticed that Lichtenstein is popular with students in this class! I think it's interesting that everyone is picking the comic prints by Lichtenstein. Did you know he did sculpture, too?

    I like that you highlighted that Lichtenstein added text to his art. This text helps to emphasize the "flatness" of his art (and, of course, text is used in comics). This idea of combining text with image has roots back in some of the Synthetic Cubist collages by Picasso and Braque.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that the subject matter of these works are both of women getting out of relationships with men. This one can only escape by death but the one in the textbook only needs a phone call. It makes me wonder how many women broke up with the artist, each one a different brand of drama. These works are intriguing since they make us want to know the story leading up to that one dramatic moment and what happened afterward. Modern art often makes us use our own minds and imaginations doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read comic books and some how I was not interested in Roy's art, I dont know why. Maybe its because I feel that the piece isnt finished, what I mean by that is that when I see a comic panel I expect to read the panels before and after to read the story, so not being able to continue the story leaves me unsatisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting that this artist crated single pieces of a comic strip to demonstrate contemporary culture. I don't necessarily enjoy this kind of artwork; it is too simplified for me. However, I do like the fact that we are only seeing one section of a larger story, forcing us to create the rest of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I'm not a huge fan of comic book style artwork, I do really like the flat areas of color, and the flat text that has been added. I think that this piece is really interesting, and the fact that it is just one piece of a whole story allows the viewer to create the rest of the story themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lichtenstein's work is very unique. It is no exaggeration that his work moves away from abstract expressionism. I enjoy the comic feel that he incorporates through the use of thick lines and ben-day dots. I wonder what affect his paintings would have without the thought bubbles...

    ReplyDelete